Friday, August 5, 2011

Wicked Lies by Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush

Wicked Lies by Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush

Adult Fiction

Rating: 3 Stars

If At First You Don't Succeed

For two years, Justice Turnbull has paced his room at Halo Valley Security Hospital, planning to escape. Justice has a mission—one that began with a vicious murder two decades ago. And there are so many others who must be sent back to the hell that spawned them. . .

Kill. . .

Laura Adderley didn't plan to get pregnant by her soon-to-be ex-husband, though she'll do anything to protect her baby. But now reporter Harrison Frost is asking questions about the mysterious group of women who live at Siren Song lodge. Harrison hasn't figured out Laura's connection to the story yet. But Justice knows. And he is coming. . .

Then Kill Again. . .

All her life, Laura has been able to sense approaching evil. But that won't stop a psychopath bent on destroying her. Justice has been unleashed, and this time, there will be no place safe to hide. . .

First Thoughts: I entered to win this book on Goodreads.com from the First Reads Giveaways and was very proud that I won. This is the first and so far the only one I got from them and was excited for the opportunity to read it. The cover looks like any other adult cover format. It has that mysterious look to it with a person running. Not really something I would be into but I decided to try it out. The synopsis is really intriguing and is what got me to into the book and got me to enter the contest. It's been a long time, but I like mysteries and cop books. So I tried it out.

Writing Style: I know this was co-wrote by two sisters, it says in a personal letter after the story by Lisa Jackson but I don't know exactly which parts where who's or if they just sat down together or wrote it. It was pretty good though. The thing I disliked the most is the third-person. They jumped back and forth between characters randomly throughout chapters and who was telling the story, it got confusing and at times I couldn't keep up. When I finally figured out who a certain part was following I had to go back and reread it to understand what I was reading.

Characters: Laura is a person from a weird past trying to make the best out of her screwed up situation and she fit the part well. She seemed scared for her baby but then did a whole 180 when she put her life and her baby's in danger for thrill. It didn't really fit in with me. Harrison is my favorite. He is so strong and strong willed. His faith in himself was fantastic. He knew he was right and wasn't going to give up no matter who made fun of him for it or who tried to tear him down. Great character.

Final Thoughts: Overall, I liked the book. It was pretty good. I have to admit I had to force myself into this book. I was close to half and still forcing myself to read. I was so tempted to put it down and read something else but I needed to get the review done for Goodreads.com. The thing was that I felt I was missing something. I couldn't put my finger on it until Lisa Jackson told me in her letter. This book was a sequel. I had no idea. They didn't post it when I entered the contest. I don't like entering to win sequels because chances are I haven't read the first and won't have time to. So the no warning sucked a bit. Oh well. It was a good book and I don't regret it.



post signature

No comments: