Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Paradox - The Angels are Here by Patti Roberts

Paradox - The Angels are Here (Book 1) by Patti Roberts

Fantasy

Rating: 2 Stars

Nine hundred years ago, under the complete cover of darkness, the Grigorian army rose silently from their underground lair and attacked the Bulguardian Royal Palace. The bloody and violent battle between the two most legendary houses raged on. All but destroying the majestic Royal City of Altair.

It was not the first war that Juliette had endured between good and evil. And it most certainly would not be her last.

Today, a little girl's world is turned upside down by a visitor,the Angel of Death. She finds herself trapped in a nightmare, consumed by her paralyzing loss and overwhelming grief. The haunting visions and untimely deaths of others are a constant reminder that life and death are only a heartbeat away.

First thoughts: I think I won the e-book of this during one of the giveaway hops. I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure I did. Anyway, the cover is kind of neat. It's very pretty and mystical. The synopsis is okay. I don't think I would have picked up the book in the store if I read it though. I'm not a huge war person but the angels got me. I've been liking the angels lately.

Writing Style: Patti doesn't have this awful writing whatsoever. She is good at describing things and makes it easy to connect with how the characters feel. It just feels like she plopped pieces of a great story together without making any sense of it. I felt confused most of the story and a reader shouldn't feel that way. It should flow and the plot should be evident in the story. I just don't get it.

Characters: The evil people are kind of gross to me. I mean I didn't get much background on them whatsoever so it might be normal to have relationships with you siblings in their world. I felt they weren't explained enough and I was confused on what their purpose was. Grace seemed like a normal 12 year old girl. She acted like it and her language definitely fit. The thing that threw me off was the first time her visions were mentioned. The detail of her visions were just thrown in there like it was a last minute decision. Also, I know who the Angel of Death is now that I have read it but they never told you in the book there there even was one. You just knew this person was different not what she was.

Final Thoughts: This is the first book that I have read that I am just not interested into buying the next one. It made no sense and was confusing so why would I buy another one that will probably just be the same. I don't even know what the evil people are after and what the story has to do with Grace. It's probably safe to assume they are after Grace but it just doesn't say it or even lead up to it. From this first book there is no connection between the two worlds this author is presenting as far as I can tell. Everything just kept popping up with no real hook. Like Grace's visions, I didn't read the synopsis before I read this one so I had no idea they were coming and then they were just there. No introduction to them. They just happened and then was like "oh, she had them her entire life" when they didn't even present it in the story. This one definitely felt forced which is lousy because I can tell this could be a great book, if only the readers could figure out what is going on.


post signature

1 comment:

Grace Fonseca said...

New follower. Like the title of your blog very much. I'm already doing the Back to the Books Blog Hop. New follower. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog.