Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Wings (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike

YA, Fantasy

Rating: 4 Stars

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.


First Thoughts: I downloaded this for free for my e-reader. What got me to do it was in fact the review from Stephenie Meyer. They offered it for free so I thought it was worth a try. The cover for the printed version of Wings is incredible. It's simple but in a really good way. The petals forming the wings is fantastic (and fits with the story perfect).

Writing Style: Aprilynne's style was okay to deal with. It wasn't the best ever but I was able to understand Laurel as a character with the words used. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't fantastic either.

Characters: Laurel is an interesting character. Everything about her screams that she is different. So much that she should have picked it up herself but she didn't until the bump on her back appeared. David is the perfect best friend for her. He accepts her for who she is and helps her through her time of need instead of branding her a freak.

Final Thoughts: I really enjoyed the novel and I can't wait to read the next two. It's a great story and a great twist on faeries.

I am kind of depressed by the movie news though. Not that they got picked up for a movie but for who is starring in it. Miley Cyrus. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Miley Cyrus even if she isn't that great of an actress. My problem is she is an adult who will be playing a teenager. Laurel is fifteen! I hate it when they do that. Why can't they have a teenager play a teenager for once? I will still be reading the next novels though because I like the series even if I don't like the movies.



post signature

No comments: