Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

YA/Fantasy

Rating: 2 Stars

A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

First Thoughts: I have to say with complete honesty, I chose this book because I loved this cover. It is so beautiful, just amazing. The early synopsis I found is small but it I like it. It definitely got my interest. I love books that are retelling another story in the modern world. I never heard of "Tristan and Isolde" but it definitely sparked my interest.

Writing Style: I am disappointed. The story itself was great but I could not stand the writing. Some actions scenes didn't seem to have enough action and stopped as fast as it started. Some didn't even seemed finished. For instance, maybe I spaced out at that moment but when I read the big fight scene I didn't even know the 'bad guy' was gone. I had to go back and reread it a couple times. The writing was very hard to deal with and I definitely felt forced into reading it.

Characters: Out of all I have ever read I have never, ever disliked a character. Izzie was so stuck up and snotty. She was so full of herself. Her comment of she was the queen of the school just annoyed me. Even in the end she grew up a bit but was still stuck-up. Usually writers shoot for characters we can connect to and sympathize with, I could not for Izzie or her friends. They were all annoying. Branna seemed to be trying to prove she was the better one but all I saw was she was probably worse than Izzie. She's a horrible friend, the both of them are.

Final Thoughts: The action was okay, the story was great but I felt it could have been better. This story has so much potential but I was completely disappointed. It makes me sad only because I know it could be better but it's not and I wanted to like it so much. I really did. This is the first story I have gotten from NetGalley and I wanted my first review to be a good one but I'm not going to lie because that wouldn't help anyone.



post signature

No comments: