Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Warriors of the Cross by T.R. Graves

Warriors of the Cross (The Warriors #1) by T.R. Graves

Fantasy

Rating: 4 Stars


Allison La Crosse, beginning a challenging family medicine residency, leaves the protection of her family. With the transfer, her worst nightmares come true. Her closely guarded mystical talents; those which seldom appeared before the move; unleash themselves from her confinement and reveal their presence with very little provocation.
Allison's most terrifying power is her compulsion to cure the dying with her touch. Given her career, this gift would be valuable if she were not drawn like a magnet to the ailing person's every symptom. Some of which are fatal.

At the hospital and surrounded by life-and-death emergencies, Allison's inability to manage her impulse turns deadly. When it does, her mentor, Brody, rescues her from her own demise. His resuscitation ignites an exciting bond between them.
Desperate for a cure, they join forces and embark upon a journey to uncover the origins of Allison's lethal curse. In the midst of their adventure, Allison exposes a secret pursued by many;known by few.
First Thoughts: I marked this book as 'to read' on Goodreads.com and the author wrote to me saying the e-book format was free on smashwords.com. Who doesn't want a free book? So, since I was waiting for other books to come in the mail I decided to do it. The cover isn't the greatest, if it wasn't offered free I probably wouldn't have brought it for a long time by the cover. It' s beautiful, don't get me wrong, just not my 'type' I guess. The synopsis is good except I'm confused on the last paragraph. I didn't they were looking for a cure in this book. Maybe it's part of the next but honestly I don't get where that paragraph fits with this story.

Writing Style: T.R. is a very good writer. Some of the words she used I had no clue what they were but I could tell she did. I haven't checked yet but her 'doctor language' seemed to come straight out of an ER episode, like she was a doctor. She clearly knew what she was saying. If T.R. wasn't a doctor I would be surprised and actually happy that she did her research because it made the story so much better. I do have to honestly put that at some points I was bored. I was taught that if there were parts that didn't have to do with the plot to get rid of them and there were parts that I felt didn't have to be said and just bored me. An example would be the child in the ER with strep, I don't get how that was really important to know. I guess it puts her in the ER for the following important scene but she could have just been called down for that.

Characters: Allison is a brilliant, young woman. She is beautiful in her own ways and she is a doctor. What could be better? Well, I think she was kind of stupid at the same time or blind. She knew the whole time what was going on but acted like she didn't. With other people it would make sense since she is trying to hide her 'curse' but to herself there were so many things that were obvious but she was blind to it. Like Brody. How did she not figure it out? I knew right away. I didn't like Brody in the beginning, honestly. He seemed like a jerk. He could have outright old Suri he wasn't interested but he didn't it seemed. As the story progressed I had more faith in him and began to understand him. Clark is my favorite though. He is an awesome person and never once caused an issue between him and Allison. I had a feeling they had that 'connection' and I was glad to see I was right. I'm not even going to go into Suri. It would bring in too much negative energy.

Final Thoguhts: When I got through the random things that had no point to the story as far as I could tell (maybe they are important for the next book), I really enjoyed the book. I liked the back story of the Warriors and their relationships to each other. It's a great idea and I have to say I wouldn't mind reading the next one. Especially since it was left at a cliffhanger. I can't help but wonder what happens next.


post signature

No comments: