Thursday, May 24, 2012

The only post I will have about Fifty Shades of Grey



I fell for it. Yes, I did. Everyone was saying how amazing this Fifty Shades of Grey book is and how much it is like Twilight. I was like, really? As a reader, you can't not check it out. So I did. And here it is:

I am so glad I did not waste one cent on that book. That book is not only disturbing but disgusting and just plain wrong and I am not talking about the sex. Although that is a topic. How can a book like this be compared to Twilight? Does anybody see what comparing it to that does? It makes teenagers want to read it. It makes them believe that it's OK to read something like that.

The reason I think all that is a bad idea is because Christian is not the dream male specimen. He is an abusive person. Go read up on abuse and what does that say? This guys name is listed under abuse in the dictionary! He controls this girl and tells her what to do. Who she can and cannot talk to, who she can be friends with. This is not something teenagers should be reading. This is not something anyone should support.

The thing I hate the most about this book being compared to Twilight is that this is an abusive relationship and they are pretty much selling that to teenagers. Teenagers! The last thing we need is teenagers looking for abusive boyfriends because they might be good in bed. This book sets a bad example on the kind of person they want to grow old with. Sex isn't important in a relationship. Trust and devotion is. I wouldn't have any of my future children within a 10 mile radius of a grade A jerk like that.

I have lived in a world with abusive people and this book has truly disgusted me. They make this controlling guy into someone people dream of being with. This monster. I honestly couldn't finish the book and honestly don't care if Ana can change him. Because that's not real life. Not all abusive boyfriends or husbands can change.

This is real life. (Info found here: http://healingabusedwomen.com/2011/07/21/statistics-on-abusive-relationships/)
~Domestic Violence is a pattern of controlling behavior that men use to gain power over their partner. Controlling behavior can include; physical violence, emotional/mental abuse, and sexual abuse.
~Nearly 80% of girls who have been physically abused in their intimate relationships continue to date their abuser.
~On average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends in this country every day. That’s more than 1,100 women a year.

The fact that this author can make money off an abusive relationship makes me sick to my stomach. If you want to fantasize about a guy who does that to a person, then by all means, do so. But I'm standing strong on this. Any book that promotes abuse will never have a place on my bookshelf.


post signature

No comments: