Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lie by Caroline Bock


Lie by Caroline Bock
YA Realistic Fiction
Rating: 3 Stars


Everybody knows, nobody’s talking. . . .
Seventeen-year-old Skylar Thompson is being questioned by the police. Her boyfriend, Jimmy, stands accused of brutally assaulting two young El Salvadoran immigrants from a neighboring town, and she’s the prime witness. Skylar is keeping quiet about what she’s seen, but how long can she keep it up?
But Jimmy was her savior . . . .
When her mother died, he was the only person who made her feel safe, protected from the world. But when she begins to appreciate the enormity of what has happened, especially when Carlos Cortez, one of the victims, steps up to demand justice, she starts to have second thoughts about protecting Jimmy. Jimmy’s accomplice, Sean, is facing his own moral quandary. He’s out on bail and has been offered a plea in exchange for testifying against Jimmy.
The truth must be told. . . .
Sean must decide whether or not to turn on his friend in order to save himself. But most important, both he and Skylar need to figure out why they would follow someone like Jimmy in the first place.


My Thoughts: This book wasn't terrible or fantastic. In fact I enjoyed it to a certain extent and then was just mad. I get really absorbed in the books I am reading and this one really got to me. It's sad to think that hate crimes really do exist and even more depressing is that these were just kids messing around not fully realizing it was actually a hate crime. I absolutely want to reach through the book and slap Lisa Marie. I hate her. Typical stupid girl who thinks that ignoring things is best. Who talks the way she did to her friend? Honestly, I don't even think Skylar and her were even friends. Skylar to me feels like a real character. Her loss is real and her pain is real, her attachment to Jimmy is explainable since he was the only one who showed real interest in her. The first hero in her eyes after she went through the loss of a mother. I can understand that. What I can't umderstand is how she stood by and continued to protect him after what he did. All of them. I can't connect with characters who do those kind of things. The parents are worse. I guess that's the drama with this book but I can't love this book even if I tried.

Cover: 4/5
Writng: 4/5
Characters: 2/5

Overall Score:



post signature

No comments: