Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Where Thy Dark Eye Glances by Chani Lynn Feener

Where Thy Dark Eye Glances (The Dreamer Trilogy 0.5) by Chani Lynn Feener

YA Fantasy

Rating: 3 Stars
Three hundred years ago Lily Bryg was someone else. Now, she's dealing with demons from the past in the form of ghosts, fairies, and even a dream stalker bent on convincing her they belong together. As a witch, Lily has an advantage. But that all changes when she's summoned back to the third realm she used to live. And where she died.

With the help of a Shade, a tattoo artist, and her three best friends, Lily tries to escape the faeries out to get her, and the evil king who wants to make her his consort. Ronan will stop at nothing to have her back, and she'll stop at nothing to keep that from happening. Too bad her life isn't the only one on the line, and returning to Bevain might be the only way to save herself, and the world.

First Thoughts: YAY!! My first review that somebody actually asked me to do! I was very surprised when it happened seeing as I didn't even have a page saying I take reviews on here but it's making think maybe I should. The synopsis is very intersting. This book definitely fits in my category of books, witches and magical powers. I haven't read a book about witches in a while.

Writing Style: This is one of the parts that makes this novella a three. There were parts that the writing was great. Places where I was intrigued and just wanted to keep going and never stop. But then there were parts I was like "what is the point of this?" It seemed like a lot of things kept getting repeated constantly, sometimes repitition isn't a good thing. Then there was all the grammatical errors. I'm not exactly perfect in writing either and always have like a million words mispelled but I would never let anyone read it that way. There were errors left and right. It was distracting.

Characters: I can tell that this book is supposed to be about Lily. Ronan wants Lily and will do anything to get her. The thing is, is that she isn't that great. She seems a bit all knowing and I know she is the 'leader' but the prophecy talks about how it has to be them all but she just hogs the limelight. If all four of them are the ones who are going to save the world it should be about all four of them. Lily described the others but we didn't really get to meet them if you know what I mean. It makes sense that Lily is what's important but I feel like no character should stand alone, they should have support but I just didn't feel like she had.

Final Thoughts: I really did love this novella. I was sad to find out it was just a novella and it ended really fast. I might actually be interested in reading the series itself. It's a very interesting take and maybe the reason this book was the way it was is because basically it was a teaser for the series. (Did I ever tell you I hate teasers?) So, overall besides all the errors and the lack of development of the characters, it was a very fun read. I'm glad I said yes and if I ever get time, I will probably start reading the actual series.

post signature

No comments: