Thursday, May 30, 2013

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens


Heavenly (Heavenly #1) by Jennifer Laurens
YA Paranormal
Rating: 3 Stars



I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.


My thoughts: The thing I love the most about this book is you know it’s a fiction but it’s got a bit of non-fiction within it. The amount of knowledge that went to this novel is astounding. Not about the fiction stuff but the real stuff. Autism is a big deal. I knew a child once with autism and I could see how hard things were for the family and how much attention this child needed. Jennifer got that down perfectly in her novel, makes me think she has dealt with autism before. I love that she brought acknowledgement to autism in her paranormal novel. The story was great. Well, most of the story was great. That ending smacked me down a bit. I finished the book while I was on break at work and I just sat there staring at the last page. Talk about cliffhanger! I wasn’t a big fan of the writing though. When you write a main character you want to make her likable, I didn’t really like Zoe all that much. I can understand the feeling that Zoe has towards her sister but some of the choices she made were selfish. She resented her sister for her disease and that is not the kind of thing you want you protagonist to be. I even felt that we could have gotten more Mathias. He is a great character but the whole mysterious while sexy thing gets kind of old. I got kind of annoyed after a bit but the story itself was fantastic, just wish there was positive energy to it.


Cover: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5

Overall Score:



post signature

No comments: