Friday, February 3, 2012

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1) by C.C. Hunter

YA Paranormal

Rating: 5 Stars

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…

First Thoughts: I had to buy this book. I recieved the second one from St. Martin's and there was no way I was going to read that one until I read the first one. I didn't feel too terrible with having to buy it though. I would have normally bought a book like this, this series just isn't in the stores around me unless I drive all the way out to the mall to go to Barnes & Noble. The synopsis would have gotten me though if I had found it more close to home. It is very intriguing and the cover would easy catch anyone's eyes. I love covers with trees so I so would have picked it up.

Writing Style: There is not much to say in this area. I had no complaints with C.C.'s writing. In fact it was easy to fall into her story and her descriptions were perfect. Not overbearing like another novel I recently read.

Characters: Kylie is a very cool characters. One of my favorite kinds. The kind who is small. What I mean by that is they fade into the background and don't seem like the kind of person who would fight you. Then they get pushed into a situation where they can't fade out anymore and actually have to be someone in important and does. They stand out but unintentionally. Kylie is exactly that and I love it. I don't feel like the other characters developed much in this book but that could have been intentional so that we could get more connected to Kylie off the bat.

Final Thoughts: I really like this book. I'm glad I got the second in the series otherwise I probably would have never known this series exsisted. It was intersting right away. It had normal things happening and then all of a sudden it changes and you can just feel it through the writing. I wasn't bored while the story built and I like how she didn't find out who she was already, then the rest of the series has meaning, that quest. And it keeps you wanting to come back because I know that it's going to be bothering me until I figure it out.

post signature

No comments: