Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Facebook Madness

I have had no idea what I want to do with this blog. I have a list of ideas of things to do but I can't decide. So I decided just to start with something simple and sort of like filler posts.

There are so many things that bug me. A big one is people who don't think clearly. I know that's broad but still. A huge issue I have is those types of people on Facebook. There are a handful of sites that are dedicated to these people. They cover up the photo and name so no one knows who they are but they are hilarious. (Especially the typos section.)

Browsing one I found this:




This person makes no sense. You want to be an author yet it seems you can't even spell the simplest words correctly? Yes, editors edit your work, but no agent or publisher will read past the first page of your manuscript if it looks like this. They don't want to be your babysitter. They want to make money.

Another thing, J.K. Rowling has talent. That's how she got where she is today. Talent. The lack of money had nothing to do with it. She put a lot of hard work in her books. Here, you had a paragraph and all you managed to do is get yourself listed on sites like lamebook.com.

If someone is serious about being a writer you need to have some things down pat. If your manuscript has a few mistakes they won't care that much but if it looks like the picture above that would be unacceptable and your manuscript would be tossed. Don't let spelling ruin your chance of becoming a published writer.

Read your manuscript. Edit your mistakes. Still think you have them? Read it again. A great trick that works for checking for spelling mistakes is reading it backwards.

(Image from lamebook.com)


post signature

No comments: