Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Last Changeling by Chelsea Pitcher

The Last Changeling (Faerie Revolutions #1) by Chelsea Pitcher
YA Fantasy
Rating:  4 Stars



A Kingdom at War . . .


Elora, the young princess of the Dark Faeries, plans to overthrow her tyrannical mother, the Dark Queen, and bring equality to faeriekind. All she has to do is convince her mother’s loathed enemy, the Bright Queen, to join her cause. But the Bright Queen demands an offering first: a human boy who is a “young leader of men.”
A Dark Princess In Disguise . . .
To steal a mortal, Elora must become a mortal—at least, by all appearances. And infiltrating a high school is surprisingly easy. When Elora meets Taylor, the seventeen-year-old who’s plotting to overthrow a ruthless bully, she thinks she’s found her offering . . . until she starts to fall in love.

My Thoughts: Finally! I have been waiting to read this one but my class last month had so much reading and I just couldn’t get to it. But I managed to get it in when I could and I was able to and I am a tad disappointed. I love the book but I just couldn’t get into it as much as I had hoped.
            I love old ancient creatures being rewritten with a new story and there are very few faerie novels out there that are actually halfway decent. This one is definitely one of the good ones. Lora is an interesting fae and even though she is the good guy in the story she is actually a bad guy too. Evidence of that is her killing the girl that she copied her human body from. Not to mention she is a the daughter of the Dark Queen but that doesn’t mean she is one too of course. Personally she wasn’t a very likable character. We got a lot of insight in Taylor’s mind and how he works but whenever Lora was telling the story we barely got anything. No emotions just plots and schemes. Then all of a sudden she was talking about these feelings for Taylor like they have been talked about before.
            I feel like the best way to improve this novel is to pick a point of few and stay with it. To be able to switch from character to character you have to have it fully developed and the characters have to be relatable to a certain extent. Every time Lora was the narrator I became bored and confused. Taylor was an excellent narrator and should have been the narrator for the entire story. I am dissing the multiple P.O.V.’s because I love writing from different characters heads but if you can’t pull it off then maybe it’s not a good idea.
            The plot of the story was very strong. The story that Lora was sharing of the faeries was a fantastic way of telling a backstory without spending too much time on it and allowing it to be a way Lora and Taylor deepen their relationship. It’s a great story too. My favorite part of the whole story is the final battle between Lora and Naeve. It was so much fun just imagining how that fight would actually look if it were in a movie and I think it would look amazing! The detail was fantastic!
            Overall, I love the novel. There were a few things that annoyed me but I will not let it get to me because I actually enjoyed most of the book. I think it is a good start to the series and you can only go up from here so I expect the other ones to be even better. I’m kind of sad that I have to wait, especially because this one has not even been released yet. On that note, I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley.com for my honest review. This book will be released November 8th of this year so you should definitely check it out.

Cover: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5


Overall Score:

post signature

No comments: