Friday, August 1, 2014

Tempted by Brandi Leigh Hall

Tempted (A BirthRight Novel #2) by Brandi Leigh Hall
YA Paranormal
Rating:  2 Stars



What if the very thing to save you--is the one thing beyond your reach?

Torn between the two men who have fallen for her--and the evil who wants to possess her--twenty-year-old Chloe Bishop can no longer remember the fatal vision which threatens her future happiness. But when the magical link is severed between Chloe and her Wiccan family, they must find a way to save her, before temptation leads her into darkness—-and into the welcoming arms of Mr. Wrong.

My Thoughts:
             I wanted to love this novel really bad but I just couldn’t. I read the first one and I loved it but there were a few things that got to me. This book was no different except it was a bit worse. The characters became unlikeable and there were moments I was just too confused to care.
            First off, the different Point of Views (POV). I understand why the author was jumping from character to character. It helped tell the story and gave me the feelings the characters were probably feeling. They were confused and had no idea what was going on. I definitely felt that way. The problem I had was the conversations. The dialogue was unbearable at certain moments. For example, one chapter the point of view is of a specific character and certain things happen. Then the next chapter is from a different point of view and they re-describe everything that happened in the previous chapter. To me it felt like it was filler (Scenes you just add in to build word count). Then there were certain comments that were totally cliché. Nothing drags you down more than clichés. I felt like I was stuck in an old school family comedy where everyone pointed out every fact and made lame jokes to try and keep you entertained.
            I loved Chloe in the first novel but in this one I just wanted to punch her. I understand that she was brainwashed and was in the process in becoming a demon but her constant complaining drove me nuts. In the beginning she had this awesome new job but hated she was getting picked on. You are an adult, tell them to stop or report them for harassment. No self-respecting woman would allow people to treat her like that and not report it. Then in the end she realized what had happened yet she was still confused about her feelings towards Xander. Seriously? He messed with your brain and was going to rape you into becoming a demon; no matter what he did in the end he was still an evil demon. If Xander was supposed to be this new guy Chloe fell in love with then he should have been more likeable. The only good thing he did was save Hunter. That was the only likeable thing about him.
            Overall, I still love the plot and the story but this novel just didn’t do it for me. In fact the second in the series might have permanently driven me away from reading the rest of the series. Which is disappointing to me because I love any story about witches especially a family of witches. I can see me reading the next one but since it’s the last one I am considering just going for it anyway. I guess we will see.

Cover: 4/5
Writing: 2/5
Characters: 2/5


Overall Score:



post signature

No comments: