Friday, March 16, 2012

Wake by Amanda Hocking

Wake (Watersong #1) by Amanda Hocking

YA Fantasy

Rating: 5 Stars

Amanda Hocking takes you deep into a new world with the first book in the Watersong series.
Beautiful. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Thea, and Lexi have caught everyone's attention, including the eye of practical Harper. But it's her sister, Gemma, they've chosen to be part of their group.
Sixteen-year-old Gemma seems to have it all - carefree, pretty, and falling in love with the boy next door. But her greatest passion has always been the water. She craves late night swims under the stars, where she can be alone yet belong to the sea. Lately she's had company. Penn, Thea, and Lexi spend their nights dancing, singing, and partying on the cove--and one night Gemma joins them. When she wakes up groggy on the beach the next morning, she knows something has changed.
Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. As she uncovers the truth about her new mythical powers, Gemma is forced to choose between staying with those she loves or entering a dark world brimming with unimaginable secrets.

First Thoughts: Amanda Hocking has been making such an impression lately. I was glad I got this one because I was going to go get it anyway. The synopsis is just so mysterious and creepy. The cover is beautiful and it fits well with the synopsis.

Writing Style: I actually prefer this writing style for Amanda than the one in the Trylle Trilogy. You can tell that from being in the point of view she is she sets the stage for the next novel which I can tell already is going to be amazing.

Characters: Harper is my favorite. She is strong and independent. She stands up for her family and takes care of them. She reminds me a bit of myself which is why I think I connect with her so much. Gemma is a great character but I liked Harper more. I loved the way Gemma was described when it came to her feelings in the water. It makes you just fall into it and really it makes me wish summer would get here faster so I could go swimming at grandma's.

Final Thoughts: I love this book. The one thing I hate about ARC's is that I have to wait longer to read the next one. When I first read the synopsis and as I read the book I could have sworn this book was about mermaids. I don't hate mermaids but I found myself thinking, "how dangerous could these girls be?" I remember the merpeople from Harry Potter and they could be pretty horrible if you agitated them. Amanda did a great job creating another world just like she did with Trylle.

post signature

No comments: