Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Harp's Song by Cassie Shine

Harp’s Song (Harp’s Song #1) by Cassie Shine
YA Contemporary
Rating:  5 Stars



In just a few months Harp Evans will be officially coming of age and graduating from high school. She will be free from the mother that never wanted her, the house that never felt like home, and the disappointment of the last seventeen years. What she doesn’t know is that her mother has been holding onto a secret that has the potential to derail her dreams and destroy her already faulty sense of self.

A self-proclaimed recluse, Harp spends most of her time practicing the cello, in the hopes of earning a full scholarship that will grant her freedom, but will also send her away from her best friend Connor Williams, who is becoming more than just a friend.

As revelations are made, will Harp still feel the same way about leaving everyone that cares about her behind? Or will she continue to pursue the life she’s been dreaming of, for as long as she can remember?

My Thoughts: It has been awhile since I have read a book from the contemporary genre. I mostly stick to fantasy but the synopsis of this particular novel struck a cord with me. I saw myself in the synopsis so I was quick to request it. I received a copy of this book through NetGalley.com for my honest review.
            Harp is an amazing and well-rounded character. I am an adult now so I find her annoying at time, especially in her rebellious phase but it didn’t stop me from relating to her.  She has gone through some terrible things in her life but pushes through. I relate to her because I have gone through the same kind of abuse she went through among other terrible things. Like, Harp, I have forgiven those responsible for the abuse and have moved on. The only difference between her and I is Connor. I never had a relationship like that nor did I ever let anyone get that close to me. Connor is an amazing character. He is that night in shining armor but doesn’t take away from Harp’s glory. She is the hero of this story and he may be her hero but in the end she saves herself by using forgiveness and learning to love herself.
             It was very hard for me to put this book down. I counted down the minutes to my next break from work so I could read it. It may have taken me a few days since I was so busy but every moment I had with this book was enjoyable and I am so glad I had a chance to read it. It’s an amazing book and I am so happy to find out that this is actually part of series. The small excerpt in the back of the book has me full of nerves. I can’t wait to download it. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

Cover: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5


Overall Score:


post signature

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

This sounds like an interesting read. I usually try to avoid fiction that deals with real-life issues (I like fantasy and mysteries because they're a bit removed from real life), but sometimes it's cathartic just to go there in your reading.