Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Girl by Lola St. Vil

The Girl (Guardians #1) by Lola St. Vil
YA Fantasy/Paranormal
Rating:  1 Star



Emmy - a bookish, witty student - is rescued by six teenaged angels with powers, called Guardians. They've been sent to elicit the secret from her before the demons can. Emmy later learns that her name is the only clue to locating a sought-after bridge that for centuries, Evil has plotted to destroy; this would in turn bring about the end of humanity.

Things get worse when Emmy falls madly in love with Marcus, the well-intentioned but obstinate leader of the Guardians. He eventually confesses that he is in love with her as well. Unfortunately, Marcus has been warned by his clairvoyant and omniscient guide that should he and Emmy get together, the mission will fail and humanity will perish.

My Thoughts: I chose to read this book because of the cover. Even I can admit I fell for it. I was both amazed and disappointed by that choice. Amazed because I was able to be deceived once again and disappointed that someone got away with it. The cover is the best part of this whole novel and probably the only good part of the novel.
            The plot of this story is in second place. I love the idea but that is as far as it goes. The idea was there but the execution of it was not. I truly believe that angels are the new vampires. Just because that is true does not mean everyone needs to jump on the boat and sink us. You have an angel idea? Great! How about we actually give this idea what it needs. For a novel to stay afloat you need to have likeable characters and something to keep the story moving forward. You had the story moving forward but I hated the characters.
            Here we have a bunch of angels who act like a bunch of children. Just because your angels are technically teenagers doesn’t mean they have to act like them. They are angels, they should have a sense of maturity. Characters have flaws, that’s obvious, but there are some flaws that are not acceptable for angels to have and that is what ultimately turned me off about them. Then there is Emmy. She was not likable whatsoever. She had spunk but to me that was the only quality I liked. She is immature and a whiner. But if you think about it, what teenager isn’t? Teenagers don’t like a reality check of that though. I hate thinking about how I was at that age and I sure hope I was nothing like Emmy. When writing a novel you want not only likeable characters but also relatable and there was no way for me to relate to her.
            Overall, I love the cover. I like the idea. I hate the book. This is one I can definitely say I will not continue reading the series. It was hard enough to read through this one I can’t imagine reading the others.
             

Cover: 4/5
Writing: 2/5
Characters: 1/5


Overall Score:


post signature

No comments: